Ok, blog world, here I come! Believe it or not this is the first time I have ever blogged in my life. Hopefully it will not be my last. I am really nervous about this so make sure to leave positive comments so that I can build some confidence.
You might be wondering about the title of this particular entry, but you will have to read to the end to find out its significance. So what might possibly interest you about our lives? Hmmmmm. Well, this morning was very interesting. I awoke as I usually do on Tuesday mornings to Brittany's alarm on her phone at 4:40 A.M. That's right, people. The time that I used to go to bed in college is now the time that I awake. How ironic. The weird thing is that I think I actually enjoy getting up early...at least as soon as I get on my feet. Now that I have successfully gone off on a tangent I will get back to the story.
As I was saying, I awoke and successfully got ready for work in ten minutes. I kissed my beautiful wife goodbye and was off to work to meet the truck carrying all of the delicious Chick-fil-A chicken and other goodies...or so I thought. I got in the car, turned the key, and puh puh puh...nothing! See, Brit had to get a jump when she went to Wal-mart last night because she had left the lights on. She only had to make a short drive home, and apparently it was not enough to recharge our battery. So there I sat as the rest of the world slept, including my boss. I proceeded to realize that I did not have the phone numbers of either of the guys that I unload the truck with and no way to get a hold of them. I also hold the key to unlock the building, so they were stuck until someone got there. I tried my boss's cell phone to no avail.
By this time you could say that I was in a bit of a panic. I tried my friend Sparky who lives close by as well as my brother-in-law Joel, but everyone seemed to be in a deep sleep at 4:50 in the morning. I then decided to try the neighbors since I had cables in the car and their cars were parked right next to ours. Embarrassed, I knocked on both doors and rang the door bells, but neither door budged. My one neighbor even had a dog that was barking, yet still nothing.
I finally went to plan...lets see...A, B, C, D, E, F...oh, H. I remembered that I had my boss's home phone number in my old cell phone so I called the Filby household at 5:20. Talk about embarrassing. Shawn (my boss) answered the phone and he said that he could get to the store as soon as possible to meet the truck. I knew that he would take care of everything and come get me after he was finished with the truck, but I could not wait for that to happen. I felt so responsible that I decided to run/walk/jog to work (thank you, Grove City fit-well). I only live a couple of miles away, but in the complete darkness it was definitely an adventure. I showed up (sweaty) in time to unload the majority of the truck and open the store. Shawn was incredibly understanding, and he really appreciated my effort.
The rest of my work day was typical. It goes to show you that God can take something so routine and turn it into an adventure/trial/test. He has so much purpose in all that He does! I take so many things for granted (like my car starting) that I forget to thank Him for the abundance of blessings that He has poured out on my life. I usually just choose to complain about the things that do not go my way. All this to say that today God allowed me to view my circumstances in light of His grace and mercy on my life and it radically changed the entirety of my day. Oh may we ever praise Him in all His holiness!
On another note, Brittany is starting a new job on Monday. She is very excited to be transitioning back into being at home during the day in our apartment, where she will be caring for two children, ages 3 and 2. Their mother is a single mom and is going to start a new job that will require a need for childcare 4 days a week. We are both excited to love on these children and to share the love of Jesus with them. Pray for Brittany as she makes this transition. The two children are the cutest little things, but from our brief interaction with them it is clear that they have inherited total depravity (haha). This situation will also give us a chance to see each other's parenting philosophies and to practice before the real thing in April.
Brittany and I decided on our honeymoon that we wanted to read through the New Testament together for our family devotions. Which, by the way, Baby Kaye already sits very still for and takes everything in. We are so proud! Haha. We just concluded Matthew and are now getting into Mark. What great news there is at the end of Matthew! We read chapter 27 the other night and it was a total cliffhanger. What if the story ended there and there were no resurrection? It would all be meaningless! I am so thankful that Matthew has a 28th chapter and that Christ did exactly what He came to do. He conquered death!
So to end my first ever entry I will make sense of the title. Brittany and I had what you could say was an argument over whether or not having music playing on our blog would enhance it. Brittany thinks that it does not. In fact, she thinks that it is a distraction to the reader and fears that those who read blogs at work or somewhere that it is supposed to be silent will have a rude awakening when they visit a blog with music. She thinks if we have a song to share, we should instead post a link for people to have the option of listening at their leisure. I, on the other hand, really enjoy background music as I read and love to hear what music other people are listening to. I think that it brings some extra life to the blog.
So there you have it. We are therefore putting it to a vote to see if the Kayefam blog will play live music or not. We would love to hear your personal opinion as well as a simple MUSIC or NO MUSIC in your comment on this entry. We will give it one week and will simply go by the popular vote. So use your power and vote!
Much Love!
KK
I'm glad you didn't call us at 5:00 this morning!
ReplyDeleteAnd I vote NO MUSIC, but then I like my quiet solitude.
I, too, vote no. Mainly because 1) it makes the page take much longer to load and 2) depending on how often you change it, it can get repetitive. I've been practicing blog music abstinence for almost three years ;-)
ReplyDeleteAs I sit distracted from reading by the sixth game of the World Series, I realize how easily I distract... now where was I? Oh yes, I would vote nay... wait, what was the question? Dad S (senior moment or just a guy thing?)
ReplyDeleteDad Kaye says,
ReplyDeleteI would like the opportunity to hear music that is of interest to you both, however rather than it playing automatically, it would be nice to have the ability to turn it on when it's convenient to listen to it.
In light of recent observations regarding the state of communication within our culture, I feel that music would be quite distracting as I try to process incoherent ramblings from mi hermano. So basically I vote no.
ReplyDeleteKev Kaye is ridiculous. Maybe you could just start posts off like:
ReplyDeleteCurrent Music: David Crowder Band, "Church Music"
Current Book: Bob Kaughlin, "Worship Matters"
Quote of the Day: "It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:22-23
Neutral vote here, but that might be a good alternative to music playing on the site!
Love the Kayes
Didn't realize that I hadn't voted yet - my auditory distractibility dictates that I vote against music on the blog. I'm sure my dear sister would understand, Ms. Auditory Learner! Doesn't exactly seem that I'm casting a swing vote though...interesting how the cookie crumbled, eh?
ReplyDelete